Skip to content


Identifying the sections of your fly rod

Fly rods come in many different sizes and, depending on the rod, different numbers of pieces. Most Orvis fly rods are 4-piece rods. Each section has a specific name which can be confusing when trying to identify which part needs replacing for your rod.

Here’s a quick guide on how to tell what each rod section is called for a 4-piece fly rod:

  • Butt – the butt of the rod is the piece that contains the rod grip (where you hold the fly rod) and the fly reel seat. This section is the largest in diameter of any fly rod.
  • Mid-Butt – this is the section that attaches to the Butt section of the fly rod.
  • Mid-Tip – this is the section that attaches to the Mid-Butt on one end and the Tip on the other end.
  • Tip – this is the top section of the rod, furthest from the grip. This section is the smallest in diameter of any fly rod.

If you have any further questions, please contact our Customer Service team.

Close (esc)


Use this popup to embed a mailing list sign up form. Alternatively use it as a simple call to action with a link to a product or a page.

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Added to cart